Respecting and protecting your Personal Information (please refer to the definition of Personal Information at the end of this policy statement) is very important to us. It is also a Constitutional right, legal, and good business practice requirement, which we take very seriously.
In line with the 8 Conditions in the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 3013 (the Act), we
- Accept joint responsibility and accountability with you to responsibly manage and protect your Personal Information when providing our services and solutions to you;
- Undertake to receive, only from you, and process the Personal Information that is necessary for the purpose to assist you with your required solutions, conclude the necessarily related agreements and consider the legitimate legal interests of everyone concerned, as required by the Act and to respect your right to withdraw your consent for the processing of your Personal Information;
- Undertake to only use your Personal Information for the purpose required to assist you or provide solutions to you;
- Undertake not to share or further process your Personal Information with anyone if not required for assisting you with your solutions or by the law;
- Undertake to be open and transparent and notify you as and when required by law regarding why and how your Personal Information needs to be collected;
- Undertake to safeguard and protect your Personal Information in our possession;
- Undertake to freely confirm what Personal Information we have, to update and correct the Personal Information, and to keep it for no longer than legally required.
We or the companies who provide or assist with the solutions you required need to collect, use, and keep your Personal Information as prescribed by relevant laws and regulations and for reasons such as:
- To share with and provide relevant products or services to you, to carry out the transaction you requested, and to maintain our relationship;
- To respond to your queries;
- To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorised user for security purposes;
- For insurance underwriting purposes;
- To assess and process claims;
- To conduct credit reference searches or verification, only if you authorise this or if it’s a requirement to provide your solutions to you;
- For operational purposes required to assist you with the solutions you require;
- For audit and record-keeping purposes;
- In connection with possible requirements by the Information Regulator or other Government agencies allowed by law, legal proceedings, or court rulings.
When participating in a vote or poll hosted on the Equus Awards website, the user consents to the processing and storage of their email address – entry & collection of which is necessitated for OTP processing and in order to minimise ‘duplicate voting’ – the collected email addresses to be stored for a maximum period of 1-week post-vote before being deleted. Email addresses will not be stored or added to any other database and no contact will be made with users through any details entered for the purposes of participating in a vote.
We may need to share your Personal Information and/or utilise software or online platforms to enter and process your information for an application, claims, or business management purposes. This will only be done in strict adherence to the requirements of the Act.
Any additional information or concerns can be found and raised with the Information Regulator, who can be contacted as shared below, but please feel free to contact us first to discuss any questions or concerns you may have:
Tel: 012 406 4818
Your Personal Information is defined by the Protection of Personal Information Act (the Act) as:
“means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including, but not limited to:
(a) information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person;
(b) information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
(c) any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
(d) the biometric information of the person;
(e) the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person;
(f) correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence; (g) the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
(h) the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person”
CONTACT PERSON: Penny Morsner
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.equusawards.co.za
What are cookies?
These files serve a number of useful purposes for you, including:
- Provide you with content that suits your preferences
- Granting you access to restricted content;
- Tailoring our website’s functionality to you personally by letting us remember your preferences, location or device type;
- Improving how our website performs;
- Understanding who our audience is so that we can provide content most relevant to you;
- Allowing third parties to provide services to our website; and
- Assist us to deliver interest-based advertising where appropriate in compliance with the applicable laws.
The types of cookies we use
We use an array of cookies on our website. Some of these cookies are placed by us, while others are placed by our third-party plug-ins, suppliers or advertisers. These cookies may be deleted from your device at different times and at your discretion, such as at the end of your browsing session (when you leave the website) or after a pre-set amount of time, or they may remain on your device until you delete them.
We use the following types of cookies on our website:
- Essential cookies – This is necessary to ensure the website is able to function properly.
- Site analytics cookies – These monitor how our website is performing, and how you interact with it. We use them to know how best to improve our website or services.
- Functional cookies – These are cookies that remember who you are as a user of our website. We use them to remember any preferences you may have selected on our website, like saving your username and password or settings.
How to delete cookies
It is possible, that your browser may be set to automatically accept cookies, but you can change this setting to stop accepting them. You are also able to manually delete cookies. You can follow these steps on how to delete cookies in Google Chrome below.
How to remove cookies in Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click on the three dots in the top-right corner of your browser. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Click on Settings in the drop-down menu. Settings will open in a new tab.
- Click on ‘Clear browsing data’.
- A new tab will open. The tab will be called ‘Basic’.
- It will provide a list of items you can delete e.g., browsing history, cached images, and files, etc. You need to select ‘Cookies and other site data’. Choose the time from when you would like to delete your browsing history e.g., all-time, last hour, etc.
- If you have logged into your Gmail account on the device, be sure to sign out, or else the cookies (and possibly history, whichever options you selected) on other devices you are signed into will be deleted too.
- Once you have selected ‘Cookies and other site data’ and the time range, you can click on ‘Clear data’.
For how to delete cookies on other browsers please see: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-delete-cookies/
Deleting or no longer accepting cookies may prevent you from accessing certain aspects of our website where cookies are necessary or because the website forgot your preferences.
Updates to this policy
This policy may be updated and changes may be made when necessary. In the event that material changes are made, we will ensure that you receive a notice hereof when returning to our website.